www.FedPrimeRate.com - The United States Prime Rate Website

Domain Blog

A blog about domain names and making a living on the Internet.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Please, Stop The Music!

classic boomboxI love music. Always have. Music has enriched my life in many ways, and has helped me get through some very tough times.

My taste is very eclectic. I like everything from jazz to classical to disco and funk.

I love sharing music too, especially with my six-year-old daughter. I am extremely thankful that she likes 99% of the music I like, so long road trips are always enjoyable. She really likes my disco, which is great because uptempo music helps to keep me alert.

One thing I don't do is force my music onto others. It's just not right. It's rude, obnoxious and a weak attempt at getting strangers to like you. I am referring to those who blast heavy metal from their hi-powered car stereos in the middle of the night. I am talking about those who annoy everyone on the subway with their amazingly loud cell phones that double as MP3 players.

And, of course, I am referring to those bloggers who have autoplay music installed on their blogs.

You know, when I was a kid living in NYC, I used to love hearing music blaring from boomboxes as I moved around town playing classic video games and searching for the best slice of pizza. NY was cool back then, and the local radio stations had excellent DJs spinning great tunes all day and night. It was cool because that was 1979, 80 and 81, and I was a preteen. Besides, you can't break dance without a ghettoblaster, right? New York was suffering from the ill effects of stagflation in the late seventies and early eighties. Loud dance music on the street was acceptable to many, in my opinion, because it kept energetic kids dancing and making some honest money, instead of getting into trouble with the law.

I got my own boombox in 1981, but I never carried it about on the street. Even as a kid, I knew how obnoxious it was (OK, I confess: the fact that I was very skinny back then had something to do with it too since I was an easy target for muggers.)

So, to all those who have autoplay music installed on your blog(s), I entreat you: please, stop the music. You are ruining your blog with those autoplay MP3 player apps. You are causing me to have a heart attack every time I stop by your site and just happen to have my volume turned up. You are making me old and gray with the stress. You don't have to autoplay your music. Just let us play it if we're interested. Is that too much to ask?

Oh, and if you think I'm the only one who feels this way, wait until you see the comments, which I am quite certain will be added in short order!

Labels: , , , ,

--> www.FedPrimeRate.com Privacy Policy <--

>  SITEMAP  <

16 Comments:

Anonymous Patrick said...

Right on! Autoplay is *so* presumptuous, not to mention eating up bandwidth that you never agreed to use. Not cool.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I VERY much agree with you!! STOP THE MUSIC!! I will select it to play if I like what is playing, else I'm there to read your blog, not listen to it!!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger JayyVee said...

Have to agree, I have my own tunes running anyhow, let me check out what you have to say in peace - keep the music on select please.. :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:00:00 PM  
Anonymous runswithscissors said...

couldn't agree more -- i'd like to be given a choice when it comes to this. if i surf to a page that has something on autoplay, i leave.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Marlene Affeld said...

I totally agree - especially those sites that play music on their blog. Awful! I know I sometimes miss helpful sites as I immediately click out if they are accompanied by music or voice over.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Plastic Mancunian said...

I LOVE heavy metal but I don't blast it out of my car for all to hear. It is a personal thing. In fact, here in the UK you are more likely to find lovers of dance music doing just that - at all hours of the day and night.

We metal lovers get a bad press, sadly.

:-(

However, I totally agree about blog autoplay. I wouldn't inflict my musical taste on anybody via my blog.

Cheers

PM

Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger charles river said...

Good Afternoon,

My name is Lauren, and I am working on behalf of BuyDomains. I have recently come across DomainBlog and I noticed that you list Afternic on your blogroll.

I was wondering if you would add a BuyDomains link to your blogroll as well such as “Buy Domains” and link to http://www.buydomains.com/.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,
Lauren

Monday, August 24, 2009 2:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Arwen said...

Agreed!

Monday, August 24, 2009 4:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Mik said...

I also hate the blog with autoplay on and have tiny players embedded somewhere on the site. I either have to hunt around to find it to turn the music off before reading the site, or more usually, click off the site.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love sharing my music as well but get really annoyed when surfing blogs and being forced to listen to horrible music!! ugh!! turn it off bloggers!!

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger nn said...

agree with you! say no to autoplay on blogs. its annoying!!!

Friday, October 23, 2009 1:04:00 AM  
Anonymous David said...

The autoplay features on blogsites are enough to make me immediately leave the site. Why bother? I like music, lots of music, but don't shovel it down my throat!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Steve said...

There is nothing more infuriating than some awful music scaring the life out of you when you don't expect or want it. I will leave a site on principal if it forces music on you.

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:36:00 AM  
Anonymous webmaster said...

When the music starts I'M GONE!! also pop-ups are a turn off for me. Why do people do this? it sure don't make them any money irritating everyone that surfs into their site!
webmaster
http://zuerst1.com

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Steve Brown said...

> also pop-ups are a turn off...

Yup. I'm with you on popups. I can't stand them. And certain big sites I compete with still use them all over the place BankRate. They soooooo don't get it.

Monday, August 23, 2010 12:04:00 PM  
Anonymous HOW TO DOMAIN said...

Very interesting blog.....really good one .....I also agree to this.....great work.....The autoplay features on blogsites are sufficient to make me right away leave the site.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Horizontal RULE

www.FedPrimeRate.com - My Uncle Got Sucked Into A 'Home Depot' Phishing Scam

Horizontal RULE

bing

bing

FedPrimeRate.com
Entire Website © 2024 FedPrimeRate.comSM


This website is neither affiliated nor associated with The United States Federal Reserve
in any way. Information in this website is provided for educational purposes only.
The owners of this website make no warranties with respect to any and all content
contained within this website. Consult a financial professional before making important
decisions related to any investment or loan product, including, but not limited to,
business loans, personal loans, education loans, first or second mortgages,
credit cards, car loans or any type of insurance.