www.FedPrimeRate.com - The United States Prime Rate Website

Domain Blog

A blog about domain names and making a living on the Internet.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Invention.com Sells for $650,300 on eBay? Hmmm...

The eBay auction for the domain name INVENTION.COM has recently ended on eBay with a winning bid of $650,300.00, but the deal looks very fishy to me:

Invention.com eBay Auction

I am always skeptical when I see such a huge final value in any eBay auction when the winning bidder has a feedback score of (0), as was the case with the above referenced Invention.com auction. I'm thinking that some shill bidding may have occurred, but that's just my gut instinct: I could be wrong. But $650,300? Invention.com is a great name, and I'm sure it can earn a very nice income if it were parked somewhere, but $650,300 still seems to high for this name. We'll have to wait a week or so to know if the deal was legit (even if the deal isn't reported @ DNJournal.com, I can always check the WHOIS record for a transfer of ownership for the name. Then again, with such a high final value, a transfer of ownership may in fact be part of an elaborate deception, a la beauty.cc)

--> www.FedPrimeRate.com Privacy Policy <--

>  SITEMAP  <

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Duke said...

I've noticed that a lot of really high priced auctions win with winning bidders with 0 feedback.

It was explained to me that people who have bought cars, houses and other large priced items on EBay bid on the items after hearing about them from friends or in the media. Items that they are interested in, can afford, but have not used EBay before. Items in this price range are much to expensive for the everyday EBay'er.

It made sense to me.

Monday, August 29, 2005 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger Steve Brown said...

> It made sense to me...

I hear you. Your explanation is a reasonable one, but still there's the fact that the closing price for the domain name was just too high for an eBay domain name trade. According to DNJournal.com, the highest confirmed eBay sale (year-to-date) is $386,100. Most sales over $500,000 are either transacted on SEDO or are "private sales." To put it simply: eBay is not the place where the really big domain trades happen.

Of course, I could be wrong, and this could be a precedent setting domain name trade for eBay, but my instincts tell me that the buyer is bogus. Even Ron Jackson @ DNJournal doubts that the buyer is real.

I'll post again when there's news on this domain trade.

Monday, August 29, 2005 12:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Horizontal RULE

www.FedPrimeRate.com - My Uncle Got Sucked Into A 'Home Depot' Phishing Scam

Horizontal RULE

bing

bing

FedPrimeRate.com
Entire Website © 2024 FedPrimeRate.comSM


This website is neither affiliated nor associated with The United States Federal Reserve
in any way. Information in this website is provided for educational purposes only.
The owners of this website make no warranties with respect to any and all content
contained within this website. Consult a financial professional before making important
decisions related to any investment or loan product, including, but not limited to,
business loans, personal loans, education loans, first or second mortgages,
credit cards, car loans or any type of insurance.