www.FedPrimeRate.com - The United States Prime Rate Website

Domain Blog

A blog about domain names and making a living on the Internet.

Friday, February 08, 2008

If You Want A Domain Name, Take It, Or Else!

It doesn't pay to dither if you want a domain name. If you search for a name using any domain name registrar, and you end up leaving the name because you can't make up your mind about buying it, don't be surprised if the name gets registered by someone else shortly after your search. It's called domain sniffing, and it's a very controversial subject because many Internet regulars don't believe that it exists.

If you search for a domain name at Network Solutions, the company will lock the name for 4 days; try to register the name at another registrar and you'll find it unavailable for 96 hours or so. Netsol does this to protect legitimate domain consumers from sniffers and tasters, but some people think it's a unethical. Check out the discussion here.

My opinion: I'm 100% positive that domain sniffing exists, based on my own observations over the years. If you want a name, just go to www.GoDaddy.com or eNom.com and buy it. Names are cheap, so even if you end up dropping the name, it's no big deal (and you can take a tax deduction for the cost of your names, as they are a very legitimate business expense.) Imagine losing your perfect domain name to a domain sniffer, then, after about a year, receiving an email with an offer to sell the very same name to you for $X,XXX. It happens.

Labels: , ,

--> www.FedPrimeRate.com Privacy Policy <--

>  SITEMAP  <

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really is good advice. If you have the slightest intention to purchase a domain name, you better do it asap. The web is growing, and domain names are being taken. If you are lucky enough to find that the domain name you want is actually open, buy it immediately.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, for the cost of 2 cups of coffee you can reserve the domain and then you don't have to worry about someone else taking it. I have reserved several at roughly 7.00 USD for 1 year and if you decide to purchase more than a single year, then you can usually get a better deal.
I use www.domain4pay.com as a resource.

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of this before I started looking for a domain name. I tried out a few options then finally decided on one - and bought it. Less than a week later, I was talking to a friend and realised that one of the names I'd passed on would be perfect for her. Blow me down, it was already gone!

Shortly after that I read about sniffing, and just for fun, I checked up on the other names I had considered. You guessed it - every single one of them was unavailable.

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Domain sniffing is a big problem, and some of the big domain companies is also involved in this. It is sad, because it makes you unable to brainstorm domains and take time to decite. That's why I decited to help fix that problem. At instantdomain.name you can check as many domains you want, completely safe. I made it for my own purposes, but recently decited to share it as I think that many can find it useful. I don't trust any other domain name site anymore. Just my own, and I can't even access which domains I've searched for there. But all the domains get temporary stored in a textbox for you to copy to notepad, etc.. Works like a charm.

So if you are worried about domain sniffing, you should try it out. I guarantee you won't regret :)

Keep writing about domains, you cover niche-subjects I don't find alot of places.

Cheers
walruus

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We promise we don't perform any domain sniffing... but you can always use our free service at http://www.domainreminders.net to be reminded about any domains you're interested in or already own. We'll eMail you before the come up for renewal so you can get in quick!

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Horizontal RULE

www.FedPrimeRate.com - My Uncle Got Sucked Into A 'Home Depot' Phishing Scam

Horizontal RULE

bing

bing

FedPrimeRate.com
Entire Website © 2024 FedPrimeRate.comSM


This website is neither affiliated nor associated with The United States Federal Reserve
in any way. Information in this website is provided for educational purposes only.
The owners of this website make no warranties with respect to any and all content
contained within this website. Consult a financial professional before making important
decisions related to any investment or loan product, including, but not limited to,
business loans, personal loans, education loans, first or second mortgages,
credit cards, car loans or any type of insurance.