www.FedPrimeRate.com - The United States Prime Rate Website

Domain Blog

A blog about domain names and making a living on the Internet.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Longest Legit Domain Name I've Ever Come Across

One of the most universally accepted tenets of domain names is "shorter is better". Short domain names are very user friendly, are easy to remember and are often very brandable.

Typically, when I come across a very long domain name, it's usually a novelty name that is long for the sake of being long. I've never come across a serious domain name that has more than 30 characters. Until today.

I received a large envelope in the mail today. The sender is "In Re Visa Check/MasterMoney Antitrust Litigation". The next line in the sender address reads "Claims Administrator". Looked like some serious legal stuff, so I opened the letter immediately.

Turns out that I am a member of a Class that has settled with MasterCard and Visa in a Class Action suit. I'm a member of this Class because my small business meets the following criteria:

"All businesses and organizations in the United States that accepted Visa and MasterCard debit and credit cards for payment at any time during the period October 25, 1992 to June 21, 2003."

I can claim a cash payment by filling out the form included in the envelope, or I can go to the following web address to file electronically:


43 characters! Oh, man! I get tired just looking at that domain name.

It's actually the right name for the job. The name isn't going to get any type-in traffic, but it is very search engine friendly; type the search term "In Re Visa Check/MasterMoney Antitrust Litigation" into MSN or Google and a link to the website can be found within the top 5 organic search results.

Maybe they should have thrown in some dashes to make the name even more search engine friendly, and to make it easier for human eyes to read. Heh.

As far as making a claim, I won't be filing for this one. The last time I filed a claim as a member of a Class in a case against Toshiba, I (eventually) received a check that was large enough to take care of my phone, cable and Internet bill for that month, and I still had plenty of cash left over for food shopping. According to the documents with the details about this Visa/MasterCard deal, I am entitled to receive a cash payment that is estimated to be $2.00! Ha! It probably cost more than $2 for the postage and the paper that was used to send me the class action notification letter. Oh well.

--> www.FedPrimeRate.com Privacy Policy <--

>  SITEMAP  <

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always an interesting read.. thanks!

I've always subscribed to the "domain name is as long as it needs to be and no longer" school of thought. I prefer keywords or keyword phrases and 3 words or a hyphen don't scare me as long as it gets the job done and the thought across... and, as I've always maintained, the ext is the least of the equation. It's what's in front of the [dot] that counts IMO.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen several settlement websites, and they all seem to be fairly long names, but I've never seen one that long. For 99% of websites, a short name would work best, but for a site such as this, the long name works best. They are not trying to sell anything (actually quite the oppposite), they are not looking for any type-in traffic, and they really don't care if it is buried in Google's SERPs for common keywords. Maybe, they are are hoping that some people will just look at that name and give up on the claiming the settlement right then and there.

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Horizontal RULE

www.FedPrimeRate.com - My Uncle Got Sucked Into A 'Home Depot' Phishing Scam

Horizontal RULE

bing

bing

FedPrimeRate.com
Entire Website © 2024 FedPrimeRate.comSM


This website is neither affiliated nor associated with The United States Federal Reserve
in any way. Information in this website is provided for educational purposes only.
The owners of this website make no warranties with respect to any and all content
contained within this website. Consult a financial professional before making important
decisions related to any investment or loan product, including, but not limited to,
business loans, personal loans, education loans, first or second mortgages,
credit cards, car loans or any type of insurance.