www.FedPrimeRate.com - The United States Prime Rate Website

Domain Blog

A blog about domain names and making a living on the Internet.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The .IN Domain Rush

There's been a lot of interest in the recently launched .IN ccTLD; no ownership restrictions means that anyone from any country can register a .IN name. I think the name space has lots of potential given India's huge population and emerging markets. I too caught the fever: last week I pre-registered 11 .IN names with Directi. I received a notice today that I has successfully acquired one of those 11 names and I--along with many others--am still waiting to hear from Directi about my other pre-regg'ed domains.

During the pre-registration period, I had few registrars to choose from for the .IN names I wanted. I chose Directi because they seemed to have their act together and they were also offering some of the best rates. I regret having chosen Directi; I think they may be up to no good. They wanted to have a silent auction for .IN domains names in high demand. This didn't sit well with domainers and it didn't sit well with the .IN Registry either. Here's a piece of an email I recently received from Directi regarding .IN domains with multiple applications:


IMPORTANT! Process followed for Domains that have Multiple Applicants:

In case we have successfully registered a domain for which we have received multiple applications - as announced earlier on, we were going to allot domains using a silent auction.

However, we have received a notification from the .IN Domain Registry (Advisory No. LA 01) in the last 24 hrs stating that .IN domain registrars cannot auction or sell .IN domains at prices higher than they usually charge from their customers.

Due to this notification we may no longer be able to use the auction process even though we do not wish to go back on the initial process that we had announced.

We are still finalizing the new allocation process after getting more clarifications from the registry. We will be posting an update once this process has been finalized by us. As of right now, we believe that we should be finalizing the allocation process by Tuesday, 22nd Feb and finishing the allocation latest by Friday, 25th Feb.


More .IN news that doesn't smell right: It would appear that an unnamed German firm was able to nab most of the highly valuable generic .IN domain names. Hmmmm...Inside deal? Probably.

Bottom line: I regret choosing Directi to pre-register my .IN names. So far, I got one of the names I wanted during the sunrise period, but I don't think I'll be given a fair shot @ the other hot generic .IN names I requested through Directi. Now that .IN names are available for live registrations, I have decided to use DomainDiscount24.net, or www.dd24.net, to get a few more .IN I wanted. DomainDiscount24.net is more expensive than Directi but, as the old saying goes: you get what you pay for. I've had no problems with DomainDiscount24.net at all. Their system is soild and my names started resolving to my server very quickly which I did not expect. Here are some names I got with DomainDiscount24.net:

ComputerGame.in
ComputerGames.in
InternetExplorer.in
InternetGambling.in
InternetPoker.in
PokerGame.in
PokerGames.in

If you are inrested in getting some .IN names, go with DomainDiscount24.net. That's all for now, folks. I'll report on my other pre-registered domains as soon as I get news.

--> www.FedPrimeRate.com Privacy Policy <--

>  SITEMAP  <

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

thanks for information.
I've just bought 2 .IN domains using DomainDiscount24, no problem at all, seems a good service (it's my first time with this registar)

Regards
Massimiliano

Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Steve Brown said...

> (it's my first time with this
> registar)...

I'm new to dd24 as well, but so far my experience has been favorable. I may have to transfer all my .IN & .CO.IN names to eNom though, that is, if eNom's pricing is better. eNom just started live registrations of .IN names.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Horizontal RULE

www.FedPrimeRate.com - My Uncle Got Sucked Into A 'Home Depot' Phishing Scam

Horizontal RULE

bing

bing

FedPrimeRate.com
Entire Website © 2024 FedPrimeRate.comSM


This website is neither affiliated nor associated with The United States Federal Reserve
in any way. Information in this website is provided for educational purposes only.
The owners of this website make no warranties with respect to any and all content
contained within this website. Consult a financial professional before making important
decisions related to any investment or loan product, including, but not limited to,
business loans, personal loans, education loans, first or second mortgages,
credit cards, car loans or any type of insurance.